en es fr it
Home arrow The World of Oil arrow Organic Farming Oils



Organic Farming is a form of agriculture that relies only on using natural substances, excluding the use of chemical products (pesticides, fertilizers and colorants). Only environmentally friendly growing techniques are accepted. Fertilization relies on crop rotation, using organic fertilizers and natural minerals, while crops are protected from pests by using products and techniques that have no environmental impact. Organic productions are certified through a series of controls, recognized at the European level, that allow products to be labelled with the title of "Organic Farming".


The Community regulations with regard to labelling are very precise and concern all the production stages of organic products: source, processing and packaging/bottling.

Consumers can recognize organic products by reading the following on the labels:

  1. "Organic Farming".
  2. "EEC control system as per Reg. EEC 834/07".
  3. The name in full of the control body and its code preceded by the letters IT (Italy).
  4. The details of the ministerial authorization of the control body.
  5. The name, address and code of the producer and preparer of processed products.
  6. The letter P (processed product) or F (fresh product) and its authorization number.

The producer can also include the EU logo for organic products, but this is not mandatory.
For a product to carry the "Organic Farming" title on its label the percentage of "bio" ingredients must be no less than 95% and the remaining 5% must be made up of authorized substances; If it is lower (between 70% and 95%), the exact percentage of organic components must be listed.



Organic Farming is subject to a strict control system, standardized throughout the whole European Union. The system monitors the whole production cycle, from the tilling of the land to the sale of the product. The system is guaranteed in Italy by control bodies that can even carry out surprise inspections yet must comply with strict rules regarding independence, impartiality, efficiency, jurisdiction and reliability. These bodies are certified by the Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policies and are monitored by the regions.